From natural home cleaners to cookie cutters to even glass coasters, all of these items can now be made using ordinary materials.
Glass coasters are functional and stylish items that you can make at home using old materials. The materials can be found readily at your home as well and making them requires only a few minutes.
You can use these homemade coasters as gifts or you can use them as spare coasters if you get tired of the usual coasters you find at the local home store.
What’s best is you can show your creativity and make these as a creative expression that the whole family can enjoy. When you have guests, unique homemade coasters can be great conversational items as well.
Homemade coasters can either be frame coasters, floppy disk coasters, tin can coasters, wooden coasters, or vinyl.
Here are some tips, suggestions, and ideas for making your own homemade coasters.
- Frame coasters are cute and classy coasters that are actually small picture frames. Because of the size, they can easily fit into the dining table and their glass material makes for a complimenting piece. Use frames (whether new ones or old ones) that have a thin frame border so the glass can easily fit in the center. You can also have photos or any images laminated and make these as coasters.
- The inside of a floppy can make as great alternative to the classic coasters. Because of their round shape, the insides of an old floppy disc can be laminated and made into a classic black coaster. Discard the square outer shell as their size will not be appropriate for average table sizes.
- If you have discarded or placed your floppy discs in the attic, use old CDs instead. You can put cloth borders on the CDs or place carton material on the bottom so the CD coasters will not slip on the table.
- Tin can covers make for great coasters as well. Cut out the cover into a round shape and put cloth or cork material on the edges or border as the sharpness of the tin can easily cut through someone’s skin.
- Get a plain board of cork and cut them into round shapes for another classic coaster. You can be creative with its border and other details or design that you want with it as the material is already flexible.
- A spare vinyl item can be cut into coasters and they can be durable and non-slip as well.
Criss White is a professional article writer for arts, crafts, wedding, and various other topics. To view some wedding coasters or to check out some crystal wedding favors visit Bridal and Wedding Favors.